Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Man (and Woman) from U.N.C.L.E. on Vacation - Illya and Gaby Return to Rome

A few days ago while changing my Man from U.N.C.L.E. doll/character figure display for summer I thought of a very short story, a vignette actually, featuring Illya Kuryakin and Gaby Teller from last year's Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie.  So, here it is.  Hope you enjoy it.


Almost a year after the Vinciguerra Affair, Illya Kuryakin and Gaby Teller return to Rome as tourists.  In the time since we met Gaby and she became an agent in the  new U.N.C.L.E. organization, she has embraced life in the West.  Illya Kuryakin, not so much.

The Man (and Woman) from U.N.C.L.E. on Vacation - Illya and Gaby Return to Rome

July 1964
Rome, Italy


 Gaby Teller (GT):  Wasn't it kind of Mr. Waverly to allow us to take our summer holiday during the same week?

Illya Kuryakin (IK):  Yes, it was.  Rome is a beautiful city.  Now we have time to see it and be tourists.  So let's start sightseeing!


GT:  Well, we need to make one stop first - to a men's clothing shop.

IK:  What?  Why?  My clothes are fine.  This is what I always wear.

GT:  Illya, I'm concerned for your health.  If you don't change into cooler summer clothes I'm afraid you may pass out from heat exhaustion.  I saw a men's clothing shop a few blocks from the hotel.  Please?  I worry about you.

IK:  Alright, but I hope this doesn't take long.  And no three piece suits like Napoleon!

GT:  Good!  This time I can pick your wardrobe.

Men's Clothing Shop, nearby

 GT:  Those linen trousers look nice on you and are very appropriate for summer.



GT:  I found some shirts while you were trying on the trousers.  What do you think of this one?  Paisley is so popular in London now.

IK:  No, the print is too busy.


GT:  How about this?  Americans like to wear them on tropical vacations.

IK:  I'm not an American in the tropics.


GT:  Well, surely you can't object to this shirt.

IK:  No, this one is fine, a nice stripe and sleeves I can roll up or down.


IK:  So are we finished?  (thinking)  I hope so.  This is so boring!

GT:  Almost.  You need a pair of shoes that will be comfortable for sightseeing.  Which of these do you like best?

IK:  The white canvas ones will get my feet soaking wet if it rains.  And - I - will - not - wear - sandals!  So that leaves the brown "loafers".  What an odd name for shoes, but they are OK; they'll do.


GT:  And finally, one more thing - something to shade your eyes.  Try on this hat.


GT:  (with a little laugh) Now you look like the cowboy instead of Napoleon.

IK:  No, this will not do.

GT:  Then try these sunglasses.


GT:  Oh, yes, these I like!

IK:  Yes, I agree.  They're fine.

One more quick stop back to the hotel to drop off Illya's cold weather clothes and their first day of sightseeing really begins.


IK: (thinking)  The things I do for my little chop shop girl!

And he smiled.

### 

Copyright 2016 Marianne Triplett Smith 

No comments: